16 highlights of 2016
So this is Christmas and what have we done? Another year over...
It’s been an amazing year for digital radio and we hope for all our industry and supply chain colleagues and stakeholders.
2016 has seen a series of significant digital radio milestones achieved and below we've summarised just 16 of the most important ones. Do you agree with our selection?
16 HIGHLIGHTS OF 2016
1. Local DAB coverage expanded to over 90%
2. National BBC coverage expanded to over 97%
3. Number of stations on DAB increased by 56 to 339 – and that’s excluding mini-muxes
4. Sound Digital, the second national commercial DAB network launched – now with 19 digital stations
5. Global launch Capital and Heart extra on Digital One
6. Digital pop-ups BBC Radio 2 Country and BBC Music Jazz return and BBC Radio Scotland Music Extra is introduced
7. DAB mini-muxes extended by two years and the number of services increased to 121
8. First UK DAB+ broadcasts – four national, five local , forty-five ultra-local (mini-muxes)
9. Digital listening increased to 45.5% and digital reach to 59%
10. DAB in new cars increased to 86% and over 2.2 million hit the road
11. DAB retail sales start to rebound and increase by 3.4% in units
12. News UK acquires Wireless Group and launch a digital pop-up station – Scottish Sun Christmas Radio
13. Matt Hancock appointed Digital Minister and commits to a decision post 50% threshold
14. Pure is acquired and continue commitment to car adaptors
15. Digital radio switchover confirmed to go ahead in Norway in January 2017
16. Growth of digital tick mark scheme – over 150 applications, including John Lewis and Currys’ own label, and Halfords train 400 tick mark installers
Here's to another great year in 2017!